Writing Goals for 2017
- I want to write 1 to 4 hour (averaging at 2.5).
- I want to give myself 3 to 10 (20 minutes) word sprints daily (averaging 5)
- I want to finish old projects.
- I want to work on some new project ideas.
- I want to explore new genres.
- I want to get some short stories published.
- I want to write 200 blogs (over all of my blogs)
- I want to write about my depression and anxiety.
- I want to enter some contests. (Including Camp NaNoWriMo and NaNoWriMo)
- I know I NEED to edit several projects.
- I just want to write something everyday.
- I want to write more books reviews.
- I want to read more. (2 books a month.)
New Project Ideas
- Adult works
- Blog Prompts
- Story Prompts
- Writing Tips
- Anxiety and depression ideas
- Diabetes project
- Character video project
Projects that I need to Finish
- Love Need Time (rewrite novel idea)
- Hero project (comic idea)
- DWAG (online soap opera)
- College story
- Driving Lies part 3
Projects I need to edit
- The Whisper Path
- Darken Cake
- Many short stories
- Driving Lies Parts 1 & 2
Encouragement for writing
I can in encourage others very well. I am a good fluffy cheerleader. However I am horrible at encouraging myself. I am writing this for myself and others.
Writing is about having fun. You should be enjoying what you are doing. You may not enjoy all aspects of writing, but you like something about it . . . if so then why are you doing it?
Do NOT let others discourage you!
- Writing is not a fad or fetish.
- You do NOT write too much.
- It is NOT a stupid hobby.
If you have error simply correct it. We are only human.
- Think of it this way, even the most harsh, bitter critics secretly want to help.
- Do not take criticism so personally.
- If you make a mistake, then fix it.
- Not everyone with like your work.
- The brain is a muscle you must exercise it to keep it running.
- Prompts are good.
- Draft #1 is not perfection.
- Some authors edit dozens of times before it gets in the publishers hands.
- Write short stories, poetry, blogs. . . just keep writing.
Books are your friend.
- Read as much as you can.
- Read books in the genre your writing.
The writing process is a journey.
- Some may be a head of you. Some may behind you.
- Just because someone else has a book or ten published, it does not mean your book is any less or that you are too slow.
Focus on your own work.
- There are many distractions out there.
- There are many discouraging things.
- Stay focused. YOU CAN DO IT!
In order not to get overwhelmed divide your book into small goals.
- So many words per week
- Or a chapter per ten days.
- Remember NOT everyone will enjoy your work.
Focus on the story you want to tell.
Version A is for you. Version B is for everyone else.
Now tell yourself.
- I am a writer.
- I enjoy what I do.
- I write because I have story to tell.
- I write, because I have fun.
- I will become better with practice.
- I will give myself goals.
- I will achieve those goals.
- I can write a book.
2016 was a very challenging year. I felt really stuck and trapped this year, so I really didn’t feel I accomplished that much. I mean I didn’t even finish a book: writing or reading. However I have learned a lot about myself.
Things I accomplished in 2016.
- I wrote over 50 blogs in this page. (140 blogs throughout all of my pages).Links to my other blogs
- I have at least 15 followers. ( I hope I have entertained and help some follow writers. I also to get more this year.)
- I written over 225,000 words ( I know not quite the goal of 500,000, but not bad with all I have gone through.)
- I started Book 2 in my vampire series. (However due to some emotional issues; it is on the back burner for a while.)
- I have written two diaries this year.
Things I have learned in 2016
- I have figured out some of my muses. https://rebekahquinne.wordpress.com/2016/10/19/introduction-my-muses/
- I realized that winning NaNoWriMo doesn’t stop the world. It isn’t everything. (Bit does feel good when I win. I’m sad because they don’t work with http://www.createspace.com anymore.)
- I write really well in chaos, especially while visiting in the hospital. (I’m even there now.)
- I write way more than I edit.
- I am more of an adder than a cutter when it comes to words.
- I can not write well around who don’t support it.
- I was suggested to put my paranormal/horror/occult genres aside for a while. . . (until I figure the source of my depression and anxiety.)
- I will still write even though many people think I write too much.
- I give myself much more ambitious goals than I can achieve. (for example: write 500,000 words.) I plan to push it down to 300,000 words in 2017.
- It has been a very emotional year for my muses and I.
- I was easily distracted this year.
- I rather edit than clean.
- I need to realize that writing is for me. It is a good expression of therapy for me.
- I had a therapy book and/or release book before I started therapy.
- The people I looked up to were the ones who seem to criticize when I wrote a lot.
My Writing Goals Vs Reality
I just posted that I want 60,000 to 70,000 words by November 30th. https://rebekahquinne.wordpress.com/2016/10/27/nanowrimo-2016-goals/
When in reality, I am barely averaging 500 words per day.
500 times 30 equals 15,000 words (only about 30%)
My problems is I have many more challenges this year. . .
- My daily to-do list (Cleaning, and dealing with the cats, but it takes a good portion of the day)*
- Errands: Pay bills, shopping, getting things together etc
- Getting Interrupted “Becky, do this. . .” “Becky did you do that?” “Becky stand on your head.”etc
- Time with my boyfriend
- Time with my friends
- And a new family member.
*Average to-do list. . .
- (Get Up)
- Feed Dog
- Let Dog out
- Give Callie (Cat) her heart med
- Give Callie her ear med
- Give Callie her pain med
- Give Elmo (Cat) his special treat for upper respiratory issues.
- Feed Outdoor cats
- Sweep bathroom
- Cat Litter room 1
- Cat litter room 2
- Take blood sugar
- Let Dog out again
- Errands: (can be up to 4 hours we’re gone)
- If home, do laundry or clean room or basement
- Help with dinner: cook
- Clean kitchen
- Feed indoor cats
- (I also can add clean bathroom, pet water, food bowls, replace litter etc at least twice each week)
Then if I have everything thing done
I just hope I get energy to get everything done.
Day 1-10 Chapter 1 and 2
Day 11-15 Chapter 3
Day 16-19 Chapter 4
Day 20-23 Chapter 5
Day 24-30 Chapter 6 and 7
Note: each chapter has three separate parts
Personal overall goal: 60,000 to 70,000 words which average 10,000 per chapter.
Week Word Count Range
Week 1 12,000 to 15,000
Week 2 24, 000 to 30,000
Week 3 25,000 to 42,000
Week 4 46,000 to 56,000
Final 57,000 to 70,000
If I get at least six chapters and 60,000 words, I will save and buy myself a coffee mug.
October Prep for NaNoWriMo
- Organized Notes
- Rewrite outlines
- List scenes
- Organized outlines
- Organized computer
- Work on Storyline arc
- Set up scenes
- Look up previous Work (book 1)
- Work on Characters
- Check on vampire notebooks
- NaNoWriMo check lists
- Get Sleep
- Write blogs
- Stock up on Caffeine
- Stock up on candy
- Get psyched for writing
- Get Inspired
Writer Vs Non-supporters
It is really hard to write when you live with non-supporters!
I’ve been told…
- “You write too much!”
- “Writing is overrated.”
- “Books are going obsolete.”
- “Stop writing and do something worth your time!”
- “Vampires & ghosts have been overdone.”
- “Your grammar sucks!”
- “Why try?”
- “There is no way you will finish a book.” (This one for reading and writing)
- “You are wasting your time!”
- “Writing is unstable!”
- “You cannot make money from writing!”
- “If you have no money, then you might as well quit mow. You cannot write a book without money.”
It’s hard to win get started when you feel like you are set up to fail. They made me feel like a failure, and like I will never succeed. How do I know if I can climb the mountain, unless I try to climb it first?
This does not help my depression and anxiety that they know I have. I also get mix emotions when they get me a computer with a pen with it, but complain whom I am on it too much . . .go figure!
There is something I have learned (beside my hatred for cleaning) . . . I’ve learned that I can clean the whole house: make everything freaking sparkle, make a seven course meal, serve the meal to lots of guests (which also makes me anxious) and do errands, clean up after those guests, and pay all of the bills… BUT if I did NOT write that day, I felt unproductive!
To me writing isn’t just telling a story to someone:
- It is expressing myself and giving the readers a little piece of me.
- It’s also my therapy as page listens way better than most noisy people.
- It is also my escape and my hope.
- It is my creation.
To those who do NOT support me writing, then you do NOT know me. I’m a good person, and I have been writing for over 25 years; I do NOT think it is a waste. Then you might as well say that all of my education was a waste too, and I think it was not. If you want to drop me, leave and stop supporting me, fine. I’m sorry for lost, but not the fact that you’ll probably be victims in my next novels . . . * evil laugh with lighting in the background*