Encouragement for writing
I can in encourage others very well. I am a good fluffy cheerleader. However I am horrible at encouraging myself. I am writing this for myself and others.
Writing is about having fun. You should be enjoying what you are doing. You may not enjoy all aspects of writing, but you like something about it . . . if so then why are you doing it?
Do NOT let others discourage you!
- Writing is not a fad or fetish.
- You do NOT write too much.
- It is NOT a stupid hobby.
If you have error simply correct it. We are only human.
- Think of it this way, even the most harsh, bitter critics secretly want to help.
- Do not take criticism so personally.
- If you make a mistake, then fix it.
- Not everyone with like your work.
- The brain is a muscle you must exercise it to keep it running.
- Prompts are good.
- Draft #1 is not perfection.
- Some authors edit dozens of times before it gets in the publishers hands.
- Write short stories, poetry, blogs. . . just keep writing.
Books are your friend.
- Read as much as you can.
- Read books in the genre your writing.
The writing process is a journey.
- Some may be a head of you. Some may behind you.
- Just because someone else has a book or ten published, it does not mean your book is any less or that you are too slow.
Focus on your own work.
- There are many distractions out there.
- There are many discouraging things.
- Stay focused. YOU CAN DO IT!
In order not to get overwhelmed divide your book into small goals.
- So many words per week
- Or a chapter per ten days.
- Remember NOT everyone will enjoy your work.
Focus on the story you want to tell.
Version A is for you. Version B is for everyone else.
Now tell yourself.
- I am a writer.
- I enjoy what I do.
- I write because I have story to tell.
- I write, because I have fun.
- I will become better with practice.
- I will give myself goals.
- I will achieve those goals.
- I can write a book.